Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2011

Maha - lunch

Where: Bond Lane, Melbourne
When: Lunch - June 29
Occasion: Business Lunch
Wine: None :(
Website: mahabg.com.au

Maha is the second (of now 6) restaurants in the George Calombaris  stable, although he's not the chef, that responsibility falls to Shane Delia.  The theme is Middle Eastern and I was very happy when the 2 guests I was with all agreed to the share plates.

I've been to Maha previously and was impressed then, so I was very keen to get stuck into the food a second time.

We began with mixed olives, beetroot dip (with outstanding bread), a white bean salad with roasted nuts, arancini balls and some fried mushrooms with spinach.  The olives were wonderful and the beetroot dip was sweet yet countered by lovely acidity and was delicious.

Hahaha, I only just realised I have a pic with half the food served.  My colleague has a better one, when I get it I'll edit this post.

Despite mentioning our time was limited the main course was a little slow in coming, but that might have been partially our fault as everyone was too well mannered to finish off the last of the entrees.

The mains were well worth the wait though.  It's a little bit of a lottery and we hit the jackpot!  I've heard about the lamb at Maha and I was very happy when it arrived.  It's unbelievably tender and incredibly rich, the fat of the lamb rendered through the fibres perfectly.  You can't help but go back for more and more!  Get in while it's hot (before the fat starts to solidify).

Maha always serve a fish or seafood dish as a main and the fish we had was just outstanding.  It was Hapuka and cooked in butter, but there was a subtle complexity to the dish.  More earthy flavours, maybe a hint of tahini.

The fatoush salad was light and fresh with dukkah adding interest.  Some mint and lemon were superb with the cucumber, this salad cut through the fat of the lamb perfectly.

This was all accompanied by a pilaf which was buttery and spectacular.  It was rich but not heavy and could be enjoyed on its own.

We then got to indulge in some immaculately presented and very well crafted desserts.


The last time I was at maha I enjoyed the turkish delight filled donuts and this time they were delicious again although a little doughy in the centre.

The miniature cones were filled with a delicious goats milk ice cream but the nuts and honey accompaniment rounded out the dish perfectly.

The shotglasses were filled with a bitter chocolate mousse and layer of toasted nuts, with a creamy surface.  For me, this dish was a little savoury, not my kind of dessert.

Maha is not your everyday lunch spot but it's a wonderful treat, tucked into turkish ambience.  I would happily go back again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment